NAPEO represents a dynamic and growing industry, and we foster an energetic, collaborative, and supportive workplace environment. Careers at NAPEO provide ample opportunitites for growth, education, and development. NAPEO offers a comprehensive suite of benefits for full time employees including health, dental, vision, 401k, flex spending, generous PTO, free parking, onsite fitness facilities, and more. NAPEO is an equal opportunity employer.
Director of State Government Affairs
Position Overview: The Director is one of two staff persons responsible for implementing and managing state legislative, regulatory, and grassroots activities of NAPEO through traveling to individual states as directed by the Senior Director of State Government Affairs.
Position Requirements: Must have excellent organizational, negotiating, verbal and written communication skills. Must have experience with legislative and regulatory processes common to state governments and a working knowledge of lobbying strategies, ethics restrictions and requirements. Must have the ability to handle multiple and demanding tasks simultaneously on tight deadlines. Must have the ability to travel frequently (approximately 40 percent) to states to lobby on behalf of NAPEO. Must have the ability to establish and maintain professional and effective working relationships with NAPEO members, NAPEO staff, government officials, lobbyists, and consultants and the ability to determine what issues are important to the membership. Must have prior state government, state lobbying or trade association experience. Knowledge of state insurance laws, state health laws and state implementation of the Patient Protection Affordable Care Act, as well as relationships with state insurance departments and state health departments and HHS, a plus. Knowledge and understanding of industry operations and trends preferred. Bachelor’s degree or higher required.
Positively affect policy/change in targeted states each year:
- Assist in the development of a strategic plan for priority states for the year and three-year plan for long-range planning.
- Develop, manage, and implement a strategic plan for targeted states.
- Respond swiftly and effectively to unexpected legislative and regulatory developments to protect industry interests and improve the regulatory climate if possible.
- Draft regulatory or legislative initiatives and communications, including legislation, regulations, amendments, formal comments, and communications with decision makers on behalf of NAPEO.
- Develop and implement grassroots communication strategies for targeted states.
- Develop grassroots educational and training materials for targeted states.
- Prepare correspondence and deliver testimony to state legislative and regulatory bodies expressing the industry’s concerns and positions on relevant issues.
- Represent NAPEO and PEO industry at hearings, meetings and conferences as official voice of industry on government affairs-related issues.
- Assist with selection, hiring and supervision of retained lobbyists in specific states.
- Develop written materials for use by state lobbyists representing NAPEO.
- Coordinate outreach efforts with NAPEO allies (e.g., state chambers of commerce, NFIB chapters, and other general business groups) to build coalitions on priority issues for all targeted states.
Develop and manage active member involvement in NAPEO state government affairs:
- Serve as NAPEO contact for PEO members with regard to state legislative and regulatory initiatives.
- Work with NAPEO’s Government Affairs Committee and leadership councils in individual states to develop and maintain strong working relationship between NAPEO staff and membership.
- Attend in person leadership council forums in the states and give presentations on state government affairs and the importance of grassroots lobbying and individual involvement for targeted states.
- Provide assistance, guidance, and training to members and leadership councils with regard to grassroots development, lobbying activities, and government affairs initiatives.
- Develop materials for lobbyists and members to use with legislators and regulators on general PEO topics and issues.
General administration and other duties as assigned:
- Coordinate legal and technical government affairs comments with NAPEO’s Government Affairs team.
- Assist with and supervise tracking of state bills and regulatory activities performed by Legislative Assistant.
- Regularly review NAPEO’s regulatory database for assigned states. Advise General Counsel on areas for improvement or change.
- Coordinate updates to NAPEO’s Members-Only web page with current government affairs documents and current events.
- As appropriate, assist the Senior Director of State Government Affairs and Vice President of Federal Government Affairs in federal legislative affairs.
About NAPEO: NAPEO provides educational services, business resources and government affairs for the growing professional employer organization (PEO) industry. Our membership includes more than 300 PEO companies, as well as 200 associate (vendor/service partner) member companies. NAPEO provides a comprehensive suite of benefits for full time employees including health, dental, vision, 401k, flex spending, generous PTO, free parking, and more. EOE.
To Apply: Please send your cover letter, salary requirements and resume to Daniel Harris, senior director of state government affairs.
Member Services & Meetings Coordinator
Providing Direct Support to:
Director of Member Services, Director of Service Partner Accounts, and Director of Meetings & Conference Services
The Member Services & Meetings Coordinator will support NAPEO’s strategic plan by providing essential administrative assistance to NAPEO’s primary revenue generating programs – membership, sponsorship and events.
Solid customer service philosophy, professionalism and attention to detail a must. Frequent interaction with members and colleagues using excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to prioritize multiple projects, work in a fast-paced environment, and meet deadlines. Preferred candidate will have one to three years’ experience in an association setting. Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Outlook, and Excel. Bachelor’s degree. Experience with an association membership database (MemberSuite) and writing queries. Some travel is required. Candidate is expected to remain stationary for long periods of time; move around frequently on-site at events and, on occasion, move conference materials and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
Serve as primary customer contact for existing and potential members through professional and courteous phone and email interactions.
Address phone and email inquiries regarding NAPEO membership, conferences, and services, as well as basic PEO industry information.
Respond to member requests in a timely fashion. Coordinate resolution of membership issues or concerns.
Develop standard responses to facilitate email and phone response to frequent member requests.
Support the membership activities of NAPEO which include, but are not limited to, the timely fulfillment of member and prospect communications via phone, mail and email; assisting with membership recruitment and retention strategies; follow up related to membership applications and renewals; benefits fulfillment; managing the mentor program; general data maintenance, supporting the Membership & Services and Associate Member Committees, and other duties as assigned.
Must be willing and able to learn MemberSuite platform to generate and analyze queries and reports; update data, and support Member Services department.
Work with marketing and communications staff to maximize accuracy and usefulness of online member directories and promote member recruitment and member services in social media.
Advertising, Sponsorship and Exhibits Administration
Assist in the mail marketing campaign to new members, which includes merging data and mailings of promotional items.
Assist with new service partner engagement campaign, as directed by Director of Service Partner Accounts through professional telephone and email communications.
Coordinate sponsor materials for events and conferences.
Meetings/Conference Services Administration
Support the full scope of meetings/conference services activities of NAPEO which include, but are not limited to, coordinating event communications; serving as hotel room reservation point of contact for all events; preparing, shipping and tracking materials for events; staffing conference registration desk; maintaining events pages on website, providing back up support to webinars, supporting the Annual Conference Planning Committee, and other duties as assigned.
Maintain full knowledge of current Association programs, services, publications, and membership benefits and dues structure. Educate NAPEO staff on membership and meetings promotions and services.
Identify and maintain favorable working relationships with Executive Committee, Board of Directors, Leadership Council chairs, committee chairs, staff and service providers.
Support the overall goals and objectives of the Association Strategic Plan through additional responsibilities.
Be aware of, understand and follow the Association’s policies and procedures.
The above responsibilities are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties of the position described. They are intended only to describe the general nature of the job, and are a reasonable representation of its activities.
Email cover letter and resume to Denise King
, NAPEO's Director of Member Services.