If I were to state the obvious, that PEO compliance is complex, you would be justified in replying, “No kidding, Sherlock!”
Just as any sleuth worth his or her salt has to gather, piece together, and make connections between seemingly disparate clues to reveal the truth, so do PEO operators as they seek and compile information to keep their companies and those of their clients compliant with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
In the PEO world, there is much information to collect, understand, connect, and translate into practice and policy, and it is constantly changing:
- The complicated federal and state patchwork of laws and regulations governing HR and benefits:
- Sexual harassment and pay equity;
- Paid family and sick leave; and
- Retirement benefits.
- Business regulation:
- Joint-employer status and independent contractor standards; and
- Wage and hour litigation, overtime regulations, and exempt/non-exempt classifications.
- Litigation and enforcement:
- Litigation trends that foretell the direction of things to come; and
- Immigration audits.
- State trends:
- Developing policy to address differing state laws and regulations; and
- Tracking issues in the states to keep compliance efforts up to date.
- Evolving areas of the law:
- Marketplace contractors, i.e., companies in the gig economy.
We hope this feature provides what you need to strengthen your PEO’s compliance program.