Executive Officer is responsible for the leadership, direction, culture and
overall management of the organization and its resources, including the
recruitment, retention, and motivation of a high performing staff. The CEO also
ensures that the organization maintains and develops its membership base
through a clear and consistent value proposition and relevant programs, manages
the organization’s budget, and allocates resources to ensure the association’s
maximum impact on behalf of the membership. The CEO is the chief spokesperson
on behalf of NAPEO issues and interests and advocates for the organization in
Washington, D.C., the states, and in the media.
NAPEO’s Executive Committee
Chief Operating Officer
Vice President, Federal Government Affairs
Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Vice President, Member Services & Events
Senior Director, State Government Affairs
Other key relationships
Current and prospective member PEOs
Other related associations
Relevant policymakers and regulators
growth and recognition of the dynamic PEO industry.
- A well-defined strategic plan/long term vision
against which NAPEO consistently delivers.
continuously evolving value
proposition that ensures member retention and recruitment of new members.
- Continued strong, mutually beneficial
relationships between PEOs and Associate members.
- Stewardship of an energetic, collaborative, and
supportive workplace environment and overall member culture.
- Continued effective alignment with the small
- NAPEO effectively navigates for its members in a
complex, ever-changing regulatory environment, positioning the industry as
having a clear, unifying, and compelling voice, influencing the issues that
matter most to its membership.
- Senior level association or trade group management experience
- While knowledge of the PEO industry is clearly a plus, the ideal
candidate will have a track record of success driving results (policy and
financial) and raising the visibility of a membership organization of
comparable scale, scope, and complexity.
- Political savvy/political acumen
- Experience/knowledge of the political process, with
established relationships and credibility throughout Washington, D.C.
Understands and appreciates many voices and points of view; can synthesize and
ultimately galvanize support from members/stakeholders across the geographic,
economic, and political spectrum.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to credibly engage, educate and mediate to build
consensus and alignment and tell the industry’s story.
- Experience driving impact and growth
- Has developed and implemented innovative initiatives that
result in increased revenue and member value.
CRITICAL LEADERSHIP CAPABILITIES
- Works with NAPEO volunteer and staff leadership to
create a strategic, well-defined plan focused on promoting the growth of the
industry and long-term sustainability of the association.
- Develops and oversees delivery of programs and
services of direct relevance and value to members to ensure advancement of the
industry, the association, and individual member companies.
- Cultivates newcomers to the market to grow and
diversify participation in NAPEO.
- Anticipates long-range needs and opportunities
within the PEO industry and positions NAPEO to address them.
Advocating and Influencing
- Plays a leadership role in the industry’s overall
political strategy. Gives direction and
oversight to the implementation of NAPEO’s public policy agenda.
- Serves as a credible and compelling spokesperson
before the media, policymakers, regulators, current and prospective members,
advocacy organizations and other key stakeholders on behalf of the industry.
- Effectively navigates sometimes competing
interests to drive consensus among a diverse group of stakeholders on the
industry’s priorities in an ever-changing, complex regulatory environment.
engages, inspires, and empowers a motivated, and high-performing staff.
a culture of open communication, transparency, and member service among the
clear performance objectives and holds people accountable for them.
succession planning protocol for key team members.
open communication and cooperation between the staff and volunteer leaders;
encourages an environment of collaboration and mutual trust, respect, and fun.
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
to mediate with good humor.
for NAPEO’s mission and values.
Applications and Nominations
If you wish to submit application materials or
nominate someone to serve as the next CEO of the National
Association of Professional Employer Organizations, please email: NAPEOCEO@SpencerStuart.com.