Position Overview: This person will be responsible for assisting the VP of Federal Government Affairs with the implementation and management of the federal legislative and regulatory priorities of NAPEO, as well as federal grassroots activities. The position includes representing NAPEO on Capitol Hill and before federal agencies. This person will also assist in raising funds for and helping manage the NAPEO PAC, as well as helping arrange NAPEO PAC fundraising events and attending fundraisers.
- Must have experience with federal legislative and regulatory processes.
- Knowledge of lobbying strategies, ethics restrictions and requirements.
- Excellent organizational, negotiating, verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to handle multiple and demanding tasks simultaneously on tight deadlines.
The ability to establish and maintain professional, ethical, and effective working relationships with NAPEO members, NAPEO staff, government officials, external lobbyists and consultants.
Knowledge of federal employee benefit, tax, and labor/employment laws as well as relationships with Members of Congress and/or agency officials a plus. Bachelor’s degree or higher required.
Promote the legislative and regulatory priorities of NAPEO
Under direction of the Vice President of Federal Government Affairs, the Director of Federal Government Affairs will:
- Assist in the development and implementation of the association’s federal legislative and regulatory agenda.
- Promote the PEO industry and NAPEO’s federal legislative and regulatory agenda to federal government officials.
- Represent NAPEO before Congress, at coalition meetings, and conferences.
- Draft/edit regulatory or legislative initiatives and communications, including formal comments, and communications with Members of Congress and administration officials on behalf of NAPEO.
- Assist with the implementation of the NAPEO Capitol Summit and Capitol Hill Fly In Day.
- Assist in outreach efforts with potential NAPEO allies to build coalitions on priority issues.
Under direction of the PAC Treasurer, the Director of Federal Government Affairs will:
- Assist in development and execution of the PAC business plan.
- Attend fundraising events on behalf of NAPEO PAC.
- Help raise funds for NAPEO PAC.
- Draft communications to members of the restricted class.
- Create events and other exclusive content for members of the restricted class.
- Serve as the PAC Secretary.
Develop and manage member involvement in NAPEO federal government affairs.
- Update NAPEO members on federal legislative and regulatory priorities.
- Provide guidance and training to federal government affairs committee members about grassroots campaigns, lobbying activities, and government affairs initiatives.
- Develop grassroots educational and training materials and implement grassroots campaigns for targeted districts and states.
- Update/provide content to the NAPEO federal government affairs website.
- Educate NAPEO Government Affairs Committee members on the importance and value of federal government affairs activities as an essential benefit of the member value proposition.
- Coordinate lobbying activities with other NAPEO member company lobbyists.
- Attend all Federal Government Affairs Committee, Healthcare Committee, and CPEO Committee meetings and when required give presentations and updates on federal legislative and regulatory priorities.
- Write federal updates, magazine articles, alerts, member call-to-action requests, as needed.
General administration and other duties as assigned.
- Assist in the management of the Federal Government Affairs Committee, the Healthcare Committee, the CPEO Committee, and the various working groups that report to these committees.
- Support recruitment and retention of NAPEO members through government affairs activities and communications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Occasional domestic travel may be required.
- Must be able to maintain a stationary position for long periods of time, and traverse Capitol Hill and other meeting venues as required by the duties of the position.
To Apply: Please send your cover letter, salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About NAPEO: NAPEO provides educational services, business resources and government affairs for the growing professional employer organization (PEO) industry. Our membership includes more than 250 PEO companies, as well as over 220 associate (vendor/service partner) member companies. NAPEO provides a comprehensive suite of benefits for full time employees including health, dental, vision, 401k, flex spending, generous PTO, free parking, and more. NAPEO offers a hybrid work environment. EOE.