The Ever-Changing Legal and Regulatory Environment
What is constantly changing, always moving, and might give you a headache if you look at it too long? If you said a lava lamp, you would have been close. It’s the legal and regulatory environment for PEOs.
This month’s feature, our annual legal and regulatory roundup, starts with a description of the political climate in Washington, D.C., how it affects what comes out of Congress, and how PEOs can spread the industry’s message on both sides of the aisle.
The feature then moves to the latest developments in the federal arena:
- The #MeToo movement: Amidst the spotlight being intensified on workplace harassment, articles in the feature cover mitigating risks, helping clients with claims, and educating and supporting clients;
- The huge and expanding issue of data security and compliance; and
- Joint employment, handbook policies, and other initiatives out of the National Labor Relations Board.
And in the states:
- The role of PEOs under new state-run retirement plans;
- The saga of the PEO Model Act in Missouri;
- The torturous employment laws and cases coming out of California;
- The distinction between selling insurance and providing PEO services as recently revisited in Georgia;
- The near-toppling of exclusive remedy in Wisconsin, and similar actions in Michigan and Montana; and
- The recently passed legislation in Ohio protecting the business income deduction for clients.
There you have it: the PEO legal and regulatory environment as it stands right now. It will change, but NAPEO will keep you informed.